QUICK AND EASY FOOD: "INSTANT" NOODLES
I would describe myself as a foodie but I don’t really enjoy cooking at home. I enjoy collecting and flipping through cookbooks, reading about the history of food, watching the Food Network, learning about interesting techniques and dining out at new restaurants but I find cooking at home a chore. So when I do cook, it has to be ready in under 30 mins otherwise I lose interest. I just don’t have the patience or attention span to be in the kitchen any longer!
It’s been many years since I’ve had packet noodles but I remember Mum and I used to jazz it up with lemon, garlic, ginger and chilli (whatever was on hand in the kitchen). We could never just eat it plain. I enjoy the challenge of coming up with quick, healthy meals that are also full of flavour. This noodle dish, inspired by Maggi 2 minute noodles I used to make as kid, ticks all the boxes. It’s an easy midweek dinner for one, or can be scaled up for a few more hungry mouths.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp of miso paste
- 1 tbs of fish sauce (omit if vegan)
- 1 tbs of soy sauce
- 1tsp of turmeric
- 1 clove of garlic, minced or finely chopped
- ½ a lemon juiced
- 1 tsp of lemon zest
- 1 bunch of your favourite noodles like ramen, soba or vermicelli
- A big handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- Bring 2 cups of water to the boil in a small pot. Add the stock cube, miso paste, turmeric, fish sauce and soy sauce.
Turn water to a simmer and add noodles. Cook according to the packet instructions (usually around 3 minutes).
While the noodles are cooking add the minced garlic and lemon zest.
Once the noodles are cooked, stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
Serve in a bowl and garnish with spring onion.
MIX IT UP
I’ve made this with ingredients I always have on hand, but I have made it with the following:
- Chilli (fresh or a sauce)
- Vegetables - I find peas, corn or broccoli are best
- Shredded chicken or prawns
- Vegan prawns or tofu
CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE